Sunday, February 7, 2010

Spooky Motion at a Distance...I Thought Gravity was Vexing.

I read about the whole "spooky motion at a distance" phenomena years ago, but then I picked up a book somewhere...have no idea, which turned into one of the best technical/engineering scifi series I've read.

Series used the quantum entanglement of particles for communication at one point, this I can understand.  Almost like binary morse code.  Just flip one particle on and off, and the entangled particle infinite light years away does the same...instantaneous communications.  Not science fiction, they have proved it works in the infant stages in the lab already.


Where the books threw me was when they started not transporting information/communications instantly....but energy.  Could never wrap my brain around that.  How can energy exist in two places at one time?...and really, energy is not information.  I can't see how the morse code analogy applies.

Well contemporary science comes through again...kinda.  Physicist Discovers How to Teleport Energy
He gives the example of a string of entangled ions oscillating back and forth in an electric field trap, a bit like Newton's balls. Measuring the state of the first ion injects energy into the system in the form of a phonon, a quantum of oscillation. Hotta says that performing the right kind of measurement on the last ion extracts this energy. Since this can be done at the speed of light (in principle), the phonon doesn't travel across the intermediate ions so there is no heating of these ions. The energy has been transmitted without traveling across the intervening space. That's teleportation.
Anyone understand that?  Yeah me either...still seems like energy is existing at two points at the same time, violation of that whole "conservation of energy thing".

If they do get it work...can they just beam energy to my cell phone/laptop so I don't have to charge them anymore?  Just leave the charge plugged in at home and have it "beam" energy into them?

Ok, I'll "Power off Einstein" now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment